Tuesday, 21 July 2009

Swine of a Flu

It started in the early morning of Sunday and quickly developed into a very nasty sickness.

I was woken with a very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach at about 5.30 - and about three hours and five separate vomiting and diarrhoea episodes later (one time both happening together, which was almost unpleasant experience), managed to call the local surgery. At first they thought it could just be a stomach bug, so told me to see if any other symptoms emerged.

One hour after, my temperature raged from 37 to 38.1 and I developed aching limbs and a pounding headache. "Well", the nice nurse on the other end of the 'phone said, "we won't see you to be absolutely sure, but in all likelihood you have swine flu. Take plenty of fluids and paracetamol."

Great. The best bit being I have to completely isolated for 5-7 days - which basically means not leaving my bedroom. It is now Tuesday morning and so starts the third day of the illness. It was very nasty in the beginning and on Sunday night I dragged myself to the bathroom and nearly passed out I felt so weak. Everything went dark and I started to lose my hearing - but I managed to get back to the bed before I collapsed.

Since then I have made steady improvement. Yesterday I just felt very sore and everything hurt. Today seems better and I managed the strength to power up the laptop and write this.

Hopefully I will recover soon - and the good news is that (so far) the rest of the family is OK. I have no idea where I caught it, but after believing the whole thing to be just media hype, I am now converted to the fact that this swine flu is a nasty bug(ger) indeed.

No comments: